Log in to VuTales



Sign up

Username (5-13 characters)

Password (6+ characters, and something hard to guess)

Password again

Email (Must be valid)

What is 1 + 20? (Sorry, we have to ask)

VuTales on Discord

Frosh it up!

Written by Gujju on September 5, 2009
So, anyone on the MSN group already knows that this past week was my Frosh week at good old Ryerson University. And since I haven’t blogged in God knows how long, I figured now would be a good time to share the major details about the last 5 days.

For those of you who don't know what Frosh Week is, it is basically the week at universities/colleges to welcome the freshman students. There are tons of fun events the school organizes that let you meet new people and have fun before buckling down for the start of classes.

This week took a lot out of me. I realized just how far I am going to be commuting every day. I take my bus for about 45 minutes to an hour (the time it takes all depends on what time of day it is. The morning rush is pretty bad, but around 10-ish, roads start to clear) to the bus station, where I run downstairs and catch the subway. I take the subway for about 30-40 minutes (where I usually nod on and off out of sleep, the subway always makes me sleepy when I am by myself) and get off at the heart of downtown Toronto.

I love the location of the campus. It is right beside one of the biggest malls in the city, and is near the Yonge and Dundas square, where there is always something interesting happening, like a small festival or a show. Makes for interesting downtime.

The campus is only a two minute walk from all this, so I make my way over to the actual school buildings, where the froshies meet up in front of the library building. That was where I joined a group and met my leaders for the week, two older students who basically showed us around and got us all hyped for everything.

Now let’s get a break down of what I did all week, shall we?

Day 1: Monday

I met my group, and we did the whole formal introductions thing. We had people from all different programs. I myself am in Social Work, so I got to meet a few people that I would be having class with. Our leaders took us over to the quad, this nice grassy area on campus that people can go to sit around and hang out. We saw the others groups there and we sat down. Since it was the first day, we basically played ice breaker games and tried to come up with group names and cheers. One guy on my team suggested the name “Fighting Unicorns”. We loved it for being totally lame.

We came up with a cheer, and competed with the other teams on a cheer off. It was fun to see what the other teams had come up with. Of course, the O-team’s Spirit squad, 4 students dressed like super heroes, where always there to pump us up with some Ryerson cheers.

After lunch, me and my friends were pretty beat, so we decided to head home.

Day 2: Tuesday

The next morning, I got to Ryerson and met with the group leaders. It seemed a lot of people from my group did not want to come in the morning because they thought we would just be playing games again, but this day was going to be the start of the student group challenge, where at the end of Thursday, they chose the group with the most Spirit points to be the Ultimate Student Group. We ended up merging with the RU Crew team, becoming the FURU Crew (Fighting Unicorn..RU Crew. It doesn’t make much sense, but the FURU flowed). We also had two new leaders.

Today’s challenges were some fun and silly games, like relay races. One of my favourites was blowing up a balloon and walking over to a chair, where we had to sit on it and pop it. The first group done would win. We also played a short soccer game, had a water balloon toss, trivia games, and such. We got extra points because one girl on our group could lick her elbow.

Once the games were done, we headed over to lunch, where everything was FREE. It was Tex Mex Tuesday, so we got free burritos and a drink, and later, free ice cream. Once lunch was over, we knocked around some Hannah Montana piñatas, and played limbo, all with a nice mariachi band playing some catchy music for us.

Now was the time for the real fun to start. We headed back to the quad for the next event: The Wet and Wild Condom Olympics. I left the day with lots of dried lube on my hands. We blinded ourselves and put condoms on cucumbers. We filled them with water and tossed them around. We threw them around into targets. We blew them up and made animals out of them. Who knew condoms could be so much fun?

After lots of latex fun, it was time to head off to dinner with my friends. I already ranted about what happened with that plan, so I will spare the rest of you guys the details.

Day 3: Wednesday

Again, I met up with my group in the Quad. From there we headed over to the Podium, a building where there is lots of student services, and to a small theatre. It was Ryerson trivia time. It sounds boring, but it was pretty fun. Some groups did some fun stuff to earn bonus points, such as singing the theme songs for Pokemon and Sailor Moon. Two girls tried to be smart asses to earn points by pointing out a spelling error in one of the signs. The host of the game replies by saying “This isn’t a spelling bee...BUT NOW IT IS!”

Each team picked one person, and was told to spell a word. I can’t remember it, but it took about 15 people to misspell it before someone finally got it right.

After lunch we had a cheer contest against the Commerce students. Commerce and Engineering students have their own frosh week events, so there is a bit of a rivalry between the groups. The challenge was to create a new and original Ryerson cheer, and to have it be loud and spirited. When everyone entered the gym, we had a good old cheer off, where we went back and forth until it was time to come up with our cheers. Our side has some great creative dances and songs, while the other side just used the same cheers we had been doing all week, and they still won. We left with a diss cheer:

“It’s alright, it’s okay, you didn’t get into Schulich anyway”. None of you guys would understand unless you know what the Schulich school of Business was, but it was pretty darn funny to see their reaction.

After that it was time to break a world record. We headed to the outside of the Quad, where we had to wait before being let in, since they had to count the number of people participating. We waited for a bit, and the engineering students came (including Pirky, who SAW ME AND DIDNT say hi =[ ) and started to sing their loud drinking songs, so we responded with some Ryerson cheers. During our cheers, I managed to catch an awesome Ryerson Rams hat. I love it!
Finally, it was time to enter the Quad. The record we were to break: Largest Air Guitar Session. We ran in and got our free pair of sunglasses, and started to jam. Its a shame we didn’t make the record, but it was hella fun trying.

After a bit of a break, it was time to play Bingo, and this was not the same stupid Bingo your grandparents played. I think they would have a heart attack if they were there playing with us. It was dirty Bingo. Prizes were dildos, vibrators, whips, pregnancy tests, penis rings, squishy balls the caller called “testicles”. It was so much fun, because the caller, Shirley, was just hilarious. Dirty jokes left and right, insulting random people, calling people out on scratching their noses. I laughed A LOT.

Day 4: Thursday

By this day, we had a new name, and new call. We became Kiddie Pool. We would run around shouting “In the Kiddie Pool...WE GET NAKED!” and our signature call, “What dat say dat we aint bad, Who Dat, Who Dat?!”
This morning’s group challenge was a whipped cream eating contest. Imagine 10 kids at a time with white stuff all over their faces. Priceless. Of course, no hands allowed. It was delicious.

Our next event, one of the most fun, but most exhausting, was Capture Toronto. It was a photo scavenger hunt, where some of the items were just sights of the city, while others were a bit harder to find. We ran around downtown for two hours, and by the end of it, I was crazy tired. Some of our pictures were pretty funny, so I am hoping the leaders get them on facebook. Our one with a Drag Queen was priceless. We also cheered everywhere we went, and it got even louder when we came across another team. We either had a small cheer off or we chanted together with school pride.

After this, it was time to head over to the local TV station for a taping of MuchonDemand. Those of you who aren’t Canadian, this show is like MTV Live. I guess. I was super pumped for this, because I have the hots for one of the hosts, Tim Deegan. I was crossing my fingers, hoping that he would be hosting the day we go, and what do you know, he WAS! I was smiling the entire time I was there, but I was also really sad that my seat was way in the back. So during one of the breaks, I had to talk to him, so I shouted “Hi Tim!” really loud. Everyone kinda turned around to see who that silly fan girl was, and Tim just looked over and said “Hi!”

It made my day.

At the end of the show, I got a picture with him! I will put a link as soon as my friend sends it to me. <3

Day 5: Friday

The morning was dedicated to charity. We walked around the city raising money for Shinerama, which helps to fund research for Cystic Fibrosis. We used the surround and attack strategy to raise money. Find a person to target, and don’t give them any space to run away. :P We even found a doctor who made a generous donation. Once we finished, it was time for the last event of the week: The beach!

The water was cold, the sand was hot, and the weather was perfect. We built a sand castle on top of a girl we buried, we took a dip in the water, and we threw around some Frisbees, footballs and volleyballs. I got a terrible tan, and sand in my shorts, but it was great fun.

Now the week is done, and every part of my body is aching. I’m extremely sleepy from having to wake up early for the first time all summer, and I am already dreading the start of classes on Tuesday, but this week was amazing, and nothing else after that matters. It would have been better if I got to meet up with Pir, but his frosh was way different from mine, so we never managed to meet up. =/ But overall, an excellent week to hang out, have fun, and make new friends. I miss it already.


Social media

FaceBook Reddit Stumbleupon Google Digg delicious Twitter

Blog details

Rate this blog

You must be logged in to vote



September 5, 2009
Submitted on

Gujju's stats

Blog reads
ID pageviews
July 20, 2015
Last seen
March 20, 2009

Gujju's blogs


Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:24 PM +

*likes first, reads later*

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:34 PM +

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:35 PM +

Aww, I'm so jealous. College seems so awesome :D
I had no idea it was so perverted though xD

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:39 PM +

His voice is adorably hot. Lemme find you a clip :)

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:58 PM +

Pix or it didn't happen.

Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:38 AM +

or what didnt happen?

Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:53 AM +

*likes his voice* Sneehhaa i wants a Tim Deegan D<n rololol

Sun Sep 06, 2009 03:10 AM +

ah your blog is so much more organized than mine! lol

Sun Sep 06, 2009 03:29 AM +

ahah your set up was pretty good. It helped when i was writing my blog

Tue Sep 08, 2009 05:03 AM +

Gah, I was writing my FROSH week blog and it turned into a QoTW life depression and happiness mutant. D:


Login or sign up

You must be a member to reply or post. You can sign up or log in if you already have an account.