Search

Query

Log in to VuTales

Username

Password

Sign up

Username (5-13 characters)

Password (6+ characters, and something hard to guess)

Password again

Email (Must be valid)

What is 12 + 10? (Sorry, we have to ask)

VuTales on Discord

Mondays

Written by Joaco on January 10, 2012
Monday
Last Sunday I did not sleep due to me playing on the computer the single player mode of classic StarCraft, while the sequel was being downloaded. At six AM I turned the monitor off, as well as the sound system (which has a super-bright blue LED that can keep you from sleeping), I turned the TV on and switched to the news channel. I also moved and shook the bed sheets to make it look that I actually spent the night sleeping. Minutes later I went to my mother's bedroom and when I got there I saw the unmistakable face that showed that its owner had a long day of work, studies and errands ahead. In an act of empathy I offered her a cup of coffee, to which she responded with another question, in which she manifested her curiosity about me being awake in the morning, in a week day, in what is supposed to be summer vacations for me. She proposed the hypothesis of me not having gone to bed, and I quickly denied it, stating that I had forgotten to turn on the AC before going to sleep and that I had woken up feeling hot minutes before that conversation. She accepted it and then answered my offer. Honestly, I was expecting her to come to my room and try to inductively reason a conclusion from the observations (computer off, hot temperature even though AC is on, bed is undone).
Anyway, this is not the reason for which I am blogging. Upon seeing her face I remembered that characteristic feeling of a Monday morning in winter. This feeling marks the end of a weekend and the start -or, more accurately, the continuity- of the routine. Wake up; snooze for 5 minutes and go back to sleep, which later transforms - by the addition of procrastination - into ten, fifteen, etc. The fake promise of not doing it again and the more probable one of setting the alarm earlier to be able to snooze the same amount of time without being late of work.
Start the day with some trotting to the bathroom, for the floor is made of pure ice. The act, for those of us who shower in the morning, is succeeded by the incomparable sensation of a warm shower during cold weather. The wish of not having to leave the shower and calling in sick comes to our minds. It tricks us and makes us think about crazy, creative and philosophical ideas that can only be created in the shower. If we remember our dream, we'll probably try to reason it out. Contemplate the idea of quitting because a job that makes you to wake up (and suffer) a Monday morning is not a good job.
Since I was a child I've always wondered if the rest of the people live common experiences the same way as I do. I have also thought about the millions of possible ways they could have experienced it and the kind of people they are. One of them is a young woman, a New Yorker, who wakes up happy (even Mondays!), probably because the job aspect of her life, at least, is going well. I believe she works at a medium-sized company with the role of a creative employee, with the luck of creating and seeing some ideas grow (others? Not so much.)
There is another New Yorker, though. He's the opposite, from the second chromosome to the job. He wakes up, showers and puts on his suit and overcoat. He realizes that he forgot to shave, and five minutes before leaving he goes to the bathroom, but when he looks at himself in the mirror he sees the enormous bags he's got under the eyes. He asks himself if his younger self would approve the style of living he's got. Without the time to "ponder about stupid things", he quickly shaves and leaves. He takes the subway and arrives at his cubicle, where he would probably spend the rest of the day writing assessments and the like.
In my opinion, there is something special about Mondays. They have some kind of smell, which continues debilitating throughout the day.
In its defense, Mondays do not have the fault of our mood. Mondays are like that person who brings you back to reality, even though you may be in your best or worst moment. Mondays don't have any other choice, because they know no other day would do it. Pfft, do you think somebody like Friday could do the job? Fridays are like that guy that thinks that because he's worked a little he deserves spending the rest of the day having fun. Fridays are like that colleague of yours that tells you to put off work and do it next week. You want to do it, but deep inside you know long-term it's for the worst. But you do it anyway.
Don't get me started on Saturdays. That guy thinks life is all about partying.

I'm trying to write more. The thing is that I'm better at writing from scratch in Spanish than in English. My ideas flow better in Spanish, probably because I'm more accustomed to it. Anyway, what I did for this blog was write it on Spanish first (pen and paper :D) and then translate it.

Social media

FaceBook Reddit Stumbleupon Google Digg delicious Twitter

Blog details

Rate this blog

6
You must be logged in to vote

Actions

Joaco

Author
January 10, 2012
Submitted on
1800
Views
18
Comments

Joaco's stats

7
Blogs
3577
Blog reads
4345
ID pageviews
10
Friends
July 31, 2018
Last seen
November 4, 2009
Joined

Joaco's blogs

Pages

1 | 2 | »

Comments

 
Tue Jan 10, 2012 06:37 PM +

That blog is true genius. It makes disturbingly philosophical/analogical sense. Though I'd worry if you were playing the entirety of the Starcraft I campaign in lieu of a good night's sleep.

 
 
Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:32 PM [Edited 3 times ] +

darkness said: That blog is true genius. It makes disturbingly philosophical/analogical sense. Though I'd worry if you were playing the entirety of the Starcraft I campaign in lieu of a good night's sleep.


I believe that you can see a big difference between this and past blogs, and I also believe that it's because of the new method I described.

I'm in summer holidays, I don't need sleep! :D
Edit: p.s. I did not complete the entirety of the campaign. I didn't finish the mission 7 of the terran campaign. I messed up and kept going, I should have restarted it. I did not continue after that.

 
 
Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:44 PM +

Joaco said:
darkness said: That blog is true genius. It makes disturbingly philosophical/analogical sense. Though I'd worry if you were playing the entirety of the Starcraft I campaign in lieu of a good night's sleep.


I believe that you can see a big difference between this and past blogs, and I also believe that it's because of the new method I described.

I'm in summer holidays, I don't need sleep! :D
Edit: p.s. I did not complete the entirety of the campaign. I didn't finish the mission 7 of the terran campaign. I messed up and kept going, I should have restarted it. I did not continue after that.


Meh. With SC1, I'd just power overwhelm and kill everything with a single barracks.

 
 
Tue Jan 10, 2012 08:45 PM [Edited once ] +

darkness said:
Joaco said:
darkness said: That blog is true genius. It makes disturbingly philosophical/analogical sense. Though I'd worry if you were playing the entirety of the Starcraft I campaign in lieu of a good night's sleep.


I believe that you can see a big difference between this and past blogs, and I also believe that it's because of the new method I described.

I'm in summer holidays, I don't need sleep! :D
Edit: p.s. I did not complete the entirety of the campaign. I didn't finish the mission 7 of the terran campaign. I messed up and kept going, I should have restarted it. I did not continue after that.


Meh. With SC1, I'd just power overwhelm and kill everything with a single barracks.


I simply lack the skills to perform an invasion. SC1 only lets you use 8 units at a time, and I use goliaths and tanks, to take care of air and land units. But they kill them too fast.

 
 
Tue Jan 10, 2012 09:07 PM +

Joaco said:
darkness said:
Joaco said:
darkness said: That blog is true genius. It makes disturbingly philosophical/analogical sense. Though I'd worry if you were playing the entirety of the Starcraft I campaign in lieu of a good night's sleep.


I believe that you can see a big difference between this and past blogs, and I also believe that it's because of the new method I described.

I'm in summer holidays, I don't need sleep! :D
Edit: p.s. I did not complete the entirety of the campaign. I didn't finish the mission 7 of the terran campaign. I messed up and kept going, I should have restarted it. I did not continue after that.


Meh. With SC1, I'd just power overwhelm and kill everything with a single barracks.


I simply lack the skills to perform an invasion. SC1 only lets you use 8 units at a time, and I use goliaths and tanks, to take care of air and land units. But they kill them too fast.


Doesn't SC1 give 12 slots for units?

Tanks are, were, and always will be fun. Splash damage, not necessarily.

I really want to get farther into the SC2 Wings campaign. I want to use diamondbacks, science vessels and stuff.

 
 
Tue Jan 10, 2012 09:24 PM [Edited once ] +

darkness said:
Joaco said:
darkness said:
Joaco said:
darkness said: That blog is true genius. It makes disturbingly philosophical/analogical sense. Though I'd worry if you were playing the entirety of the Starcraft I campaign in lieu of a good night's sleep.


I believe that you can see a big difference between this and past blogs, and I also believe that it's because of the new method I described.

I'm in summer holidays, I don't need sleep! :D
Edit: p.s. I did not complete the entirety of the campaign. I didn't finish the mission 7 of the terran campaign. I messed up and kept going, I should have restarted it. I did not continue after that.


Meh. With SC1, I'd just power overwhelm and kill everything with a single barracks.


I simply lack the skills to perform an invasion. SC1 only lets you use 8 units at a time, and I use goliaths and tanks, to take care of air and land units. But they kill them too fast.


Doesn't SC1 give 12 slots for units?

Tanks are, were, and always will be fun. Splash damage, not necessarily.

I really want to get farther into the SC2 Wings campaign. I want to use diamondbacks, science vessels and stuff.


I just checked and you're right. My distribution is around three tanks and rest goliaths. Goliaths die too fast :( Damn bunkers.


edit: I am now doing the mission. I'm gonna try and get as much upgrades as possible so my units last longer.

 
 
Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:14 PM +

Get vultures and drop mines over the map, then see if you can harass the mineral line with them.

 
 
Wed Jan 11, 2012 02:06 PM +

Aaron said: Get vultures and drop mines over the map, then see if you can harass the mineral line with them.


My plan for terran campaign is to get all vehicle upgrades and then 6 tanks + 6 goliaths, and then stalk enemies :P
I need to find a way to speed my game up, I take too long to perform an invasion.

 
 
Wed Jan 11, 2012 06:18 PM +

Joaco said:
Aaron said: Get vultures and drop mines over the map, then see if you can harass the mineral line with them.


My plan for terran campaign is to get all vehicle upgrades and then 6 tanks + 6 goliaths, and then stalk enemies :P
I need to find a way to speed my game up, I take too long to perform an invasion.


Well, maybe add an SCV or two to the mix?

That way, you don't need to spend time to build the extra tank or goliath, and the SCVs will repair the units, making for extended forays.

Same may apply to infantry, with marines/firebats and medics.

 
 
Wed Jan 11, 2012 06:23 PM +

darkness said:
Joaco said:
Aaron said: Get vultures and drop mines over the map, then see if you can harass the mineral line with them.


My plan for terran campaign is to get all vehicle upgrades and then 6 tanks + 6 goliaths, and then stalk enemies :P
I need to find a way to speed my game up, I take too long to perform an invasion.


Well, maybe add an SCV or two to the mix?

That way, you don't need to spend time to build the extra tank or goliath, and the SCVs will repair the units, making for extended forays.

Same may apply to infantry, with marines/firebats and medics.


Ya. I built many research buildings to speed it up. There aren't medics in SC, you can only repair vehicle/machines with SCVs. That's what I do when I destroyed an enemy sector.
SC2 is quite different. I feel like it's easier to build and manipulate big armies. Just did the zero hour mission. It wasn't such a rush like the similar mission in SC, probably because I didn't know about bunkers when I did it and the 100-zerg-rush killed almost all my base in the last 30 seconds :P. In Zero Hour I was playing on Normal difficulty and set up easily more than 15 bunkers and 10 turrets. Some of my bunkers didn't even get to kill a single zerg. I'm gonna do it on hard later.

 
 
Wed Jan 11, 2012 09:28 PM +

Joaco said:
darkness said:
Joaco said:
Aaron said: Get vultures and drop mines over the map, then see if you can harass the mineral line with them.


My plan for terran campaign is to get all vehicle upgrades and then 6 tanks + 6 goliaths, and then stalk enemies :P
I need to find a way to speed my game up, I take too long to perform an invasion.


Well, maybe add an SCV or two to the mix?

That way, you don't need to spend time to build the extra tank or goliath, and the SCVs will repair the units, making for extended forays.

Same may apply to infantry, with marines/firebats and medics.


Ya. I built many research buildings to speed it up. There aren't medics in SC, you can only repair vehicle/machines with SCVs. That's what I do when I destroyed an enemy sector.
SC2 is quite different. I feel like it's easier to build and manipulate big armies. Just did the zero hour mission. It wasn't such a rush like the similar mission in SC, probably because I didn't know about bunkers when I did it and the 100-zerg-rush killed almost all my base in the last 30 seconds :P. In Zero Hour I was playing on Normal difficulty and set up easily more than 15 bunkers and 10 turrets. Some of my bunkers didn't even get to kill a single zerg. I'm gonna do it on hard later.


You seem to be very twitchy if you planted more than a dozen bunkers to fend off the Zerg on normal. If you build a few turrets in the center, then follow up the farthest bunkers with another bunker, you can essentially last the entire game with four bunkers (six if you include the unused ones), turrets, SCVs for repair and units to supplement the chokes.

I'm going to try for the achievement on hard difficulty eventually, which is to kill four hatcheries. Not the easiest task when waves of Zerg are already crashing down on your base.

 
 
Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:56 PM [Edited 2 times ] +

darkness said:
Joaco said:
darkness said:
Joaco said:
Aaron said: Get vultures and drop mines over the map, then see if you can harass the mineral line with them.


My plan for terran campaign is to get all vehicle upgrades and then 6 tanks + 6 goliaths, and then stalk enemies :P
I need to find a way to speed my game up, I take too long to perform an invasion.


Well, maybe add an SCV or two to the mix?

That way, you don't need to spend time to build the extra tank or goliath, and the SCVs will repair the units, making for extended forays.

Same may apply to infantry, with marines/firebats and medics.


Ya. I built many research buildings to speed it up. There aren't medics in SC, you can only repair vehicle/machines with SCVs. That's what I do when I destroyed an enemy sector.
SC2 is quite different. I feel like it's easier to build and manipulate big armies. Just did the zero hour mission. It wasn't such a rush like the similar mission in SC, probably because I didn't know about bunkers when I did it and the 100-zerg-rush killed almost all my base in the last 30 seconds :P. In Zero Hour I was playing on Normal difficulty and set up easily more than 15 bunkers and 10 turrets. Some of my bunkers didn't even get to kill a single zerg. I'm gonna do it on hard later.


You seem to be very twitchy if you planted more than a dozen bunkers to fend off the Zerg on normal. If you build a few turrets in the center, then follow up the farthest bunkers with another bunker, you can essentially last the entire game with four bunkers (six if you include the unused ones), turrets, SCVs for repair and units to supplement the chokes.

I'm going to try for the achievement on hard difficulty eventually, which is to kill four hatcheries. Not the easiest task when waves of Zerg are already crashing down on your base.


Because I was expecting never-ending hordes of zergs and alien space chips crawling into my planet and my base. I expected my skills to be challenged; I expected furious monsters to convert my very own soldiers into my deadliest enemies; I expected that they would combine forces and create an uber powerful monster. But in the end all I had got were a couple zerglings scratching my bunkers.

 
 
Thu Jan 12, 2012 01:31 AM +

Joaco said:
darkness said:
Joaco said:
darkness said:
Joaco said:
Aaron said: Get vultures and drop mines over the map, then see if you can harass the mineral line with them.


My plan for terran campaign is to get all vehicle upgrades and then 6 tanks + 6 goliaths, and then stalk enemies :P
I need to find a way to speed my game up, I take too long to perform an invasion.


Well, maybe add an SCV or two to the mix?

That way, you don't need to spend time to build the extra tank or goliath, and the SCVs will repair the units, making for extended forays.

Same may apply to infantry, with marines/firebats and medics.


Ya. I built many research buildings to speed it up. There aren't medics in SC, you can only repair vehicle/machines with SCVs. That's what I do when I destroyed an enemy sector.
SC2 is quite different. I feel like it's easier to build and manipulate big armies. Just did the zero hour mission. It wasn't such a rush like the similar mission in SC, probably because I didn't know about bunkers when I did it and the 100-zerg-rush killed almost all my base in the last 30 seconds :P. In Zero Hour I was playing on Normal difficulty and set up easily more than 15 bunkers and 10 turrets. Some of my bunkers didn't even get to kill a single zerg. I'm gonna do it on hard later.


You seem to be very twitchy if you planted more than a dozen bunkers to fend off the Zerg on normal. If you build a few turrets in the center, then follow up the farthest bunkers with another bunker, you can essentially last the entire game with four bunkers (six if you include the unused ones), turrets, SCVs for repair and units to supplement the chokes.

I'm going to try for the achievement on hard difficulty eventually, which is to kill four hatcheries. Not the easiest task when waves of Zerg are already crashing down on your base.


Because I was expecting never-ending hordes of zergs and alien space chips crawling into my planet and my base. I expected my skills to be challenged; I expected furious monsters to convert my very own soldiers into my deadliest enemies; I expected that they would combine forces and create an uber powerful monster. But in the end all I had got were a couple zerglings scratching my bunkers.


Given that it was the third mission in the campaign, and your only tools were SCVs, marines and medics, it would be too over-the-top to expect the Zerg to be sending ultralisks and brood lords; it's too early. However, I should warn that roaches do appear on hard difficulty, and supposedly banelings on brutal. From hard difficulty and beyond, creep and spine crawlers also become increasingly common.

I just tried to tackle the four hatcheries achievement and failed so terribly, terribly miserably. Walked up the ramp only to be met by roaches, hydralisks, spine crawlers and a helluva lot of zerglings.

 
 
Sat Jan 14, 2012 04:06 PM +

^ You want to do twice. Tackle only the first 2 hatcheries in your north position, kill it, retreat, then kill it again later for that achievement.

Or if you're a total micro boss, hit 2 at the same time with 12 marines each, marine split and stutter for effective ownage.

 
 
Sat Jan 14, 2012 08:00 PM +

David said: ^ You want to do twice. Tackle only the first 2 hatcheries in your north position, kill it, retreat, then kill it again later for that achievement.

Or if you're a total micro boss, hit 2 at the same time with 12 marines each, marine split and stutter for effective ownage.


Already got the achievement.

Went with a crapload of marines and medics at about 10 minutes, took down the western bases (holy hell, there were roaches, hydralisks and spine crawlers EVERYWHERE), retreated (but taking out the nydus worm for insurance), then reinforced for the kill. The Zerg broke the line back at home, but the timer completed before they could climb to the second level, so win!

And no, I am not a micro boss. I can barely fathom how I would be able to micro blink stalkers, much less any kind of fancy dancing, kiting or splitting.

 

Pages

1 | 2 | »

Login or sign up

You must be a member to reply or post. You can sign up or log in if you already have an account.